Any cat caregiver´s worst nightmare is learning one day their beloved friend has a terminal disease. The initial reaction to the diagnosis may be a feeling of helplessness and despair. While feline chronic renal failure (CRF) is progressive and terminal, with an early diagnosis, a lot of love, patience, and dedication the condition may be managed effectively for some time.
There is no cure for renal disease, but there is hope in stabilizing and maintaining a good quality of life for your cat. If you are reading this then you are searching for that hope. It is proven that a natural raw food diet can be very beneficial to cats (and dogs) with mild to moderate renal failure.
Feline Instincts® My Natural Kidney Support™ Formula is a premix supplement provides the basis for such a diet. Our holistic veterinarian has this to say about our Kidney Support Diet:
“A natural raw food diet can be very beneficial to cats with mild to moderate renal failure, who are under veterinarian care. Feline Instincts’ My Natural Kidney Support diet is modified to contain lower protein and higher fat, with B- vitamins that are so essential in renal failure. The kidneys can manage the lower protein intake and yet still enjoy the benefits of a raw food diet which is so much healthier for their bodies. Your holistic veterinarian can also prescribe natural remedies to help support your cat’s kidneys along with this diet.”
Anna Maria Gardner M.A. Vet M.B. Holistic Veterinarian at Pet Synergy.
In addition to the diet I recommend a kidney tablet supplement called Feline Renal Support by Standard Process is prescribed for cats with kidney issues and works very well along with our renal diet.
As a preventative to aging kidneys : Renafood by Standard Process. This tablet is a very good renal detoxifier and helps to maximize kidney function in cats and is given as a preventative for aging kidneys; give one a day. We give this to all our cats to help prevent early stages of renal failure from the age of 6 years old. None our cats had renal issues and they all lived to 19 and 20. Most cats eat them readily alone or crushed with a sprinkle of our liver powder. We do not add to food so that it works on the kidneys alone.
Another good kidney support pill used in addition with the Renafood tablet and our raw kidney diet is Renal Essentials by VetriScience.
Please keep in mind that all allopathic vets do not relate to raw kidney diets as well as homeopathic vets do. When fed a raw diet you really don’t have to pay close attention to the phos or protein as much because it is the quality not the quantity that makes the difference. If you’re dealing with commercially processed foods like Science diet then you would look for the low levels. Taking good quality protein from a cat will slowly kill her.
Remember too that allopathic vets are schooled for Science Diet recipes only, not raw diets. Contact Dr Gardner for a good second opinion (or any of the vets listed under Veterinarians) and you’ll see my point. Dr Gardner can also send you additional kidney support for your kitty like she does for mine. None of my cats had kidney issues when they passed away at ages 19-21 years old. That is 96-100 years old in their lifetime too.
Most Holistic veterinarians prescribe Renafood by Standard Process to go along with our raw kidney diet. Our ongoing, continuous study that we started in 1998, showed that cats creatine levels are decreased significantly on this additional supplement along with our My Natural Kidney Support Diet. Your holistic veterinarian may also have other natural remedies that will work so please ask them about Standard Process supplements.
My Natural Kidney Diet™ Recipe & Ingredients
- 1 cup/250ml of filtered or distilled water
- ½ cup/70 grams of “My Natural Kidney Support™ supplement powder ( 3/4 cup/107 grams if using the premix with liver powder in it. )
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs or dark ground turkey.
- 1 cup/100 grams/3.5 oz of raw liver: Use chicken liver for chicken and turkey. Don’t use beef or lamb meats because some cats will throw up beef meats. For liver powders use 6 level Tablespoons of chicken liver power. Skip the liver if you ordered the diet supplement that already has chicken liver powder in it.
- 1.5 LB or 700 grams or 25 oz of canned pumpkin ( or steamed squash peeled & seeded. See below.)
- 4 Salmon Oil Capsules (4000 mg) or 2 strokes of the salmon oil pump
- Add water to bowl, puncture and squeeze salmon capsules in water and stir.
- Add pureed liver & chopped, ground or diced meat and stir gently.
- Add the My Natural Kidney Support™ powder and stir gently until mixed well with liver and water.
- Add 1.5 pounds of canned plain pumpkin (700 grams or 25 oz) or peel, seed and chop fresh squashes. Then cook well in a vegetable steamer and puree thoroughly in a blender or food processor. Set aside to cool. No other veggie can be used because squash gives the cat the fiber and extra water they need. You can also add squash or pumpkin to the meals not in the recipe until kitty gets used to it or, use less in the recipe.
How to make the Kidney recipe here …
Weigh or measure daily meals in freezer baggies, ice cube trays or small plastic or glass containers and freeze. I use pint size Zip Lock freezer bags then freeze in large flat Tupperware boxes, separating each layer with paper towels so they will not freeze together. Label and date you frozen recipes.
Keep meals frozen for up to 6 months and keep thawed 2-3 days. Don’t leave food out for feeding more then 1/2 hour, then put back in fridge.
How to warm meals:
Use a glass bowl or stainless steel bowl, fill the sink with very hot tap water, add the meat recipe to the bowl, cover the bowl and stir now and then until it warmed. I feel it with the tips of my fingers to see if it’s warm. It’s very quick and you don’t get the toxins from the plastic that way.
Yields 18 x 1/2 portions. All ingredients of this recipe are essential. Replacing or omitting ingredients will interrupt the nutritional balance.
Serve 1/2 – 3/4 cup twice a day or as directed by your vet.
Dried Egg Yolk, Gelatin, Adrenal Glands (New Zealand Organic), Kidney Glands ( New Zealand Organic), Kelp (Organic), Dulse (Organic), Taurine, Vitamin B 50 Complex, Vitamin E All Natural (D-alpha tocopheryl succinate), Calcium Lactate, Magnesium, Enzymes & Probiotic blends
The following values have been calculated based on a recipe made with Feline Instincts® Kidney Diet supplement containing 1 & 1/2 cups of water, 4 salmon capsules, 2 pounds of raw boneless chicken, 1 cup of raw chicken liver and 70 grams (1/2 cup) of supplement powder.
Per 100 grams of recipe:
Protein 13.6 %, Fat 1.6 %, Fiber 0.4%, Carb 1.6 %, Calcium 0.14%, Phosphorus 0.14 %, Magnesium 0.03%, Sodium 0.04 %, Vitamin A (IU/g) 28, Vitamin E (IU/g) 0.01, Calories 0.68 (Cal/g)
- Download the My Natural Kidney Diet Brochure
- Download the My Natural Kidney Diet with Chicken Liver Brochure
- Click Here for CRF Raw Diet Success Stories
Got a Kitty with Kidney Problems?
Help it get healthier by changing to a raw diet, supplemented with “My Natural Cat”.
Note: Feline Instincts make no claim that My Natural Kidney Diet™
is a cure for renal disease.