Feline Instincts CRF My Natural Kidney Support Diet
Any feline caregiver´s worst nightmare is learning one day their beloved feline has a kidney disease. The initial reaction to the diagnosis may be a feeling of helplessness and despair. While feline chronic renal failure (CRF) is progressive and terminal, with an early diagnosis, a lot of love, patience, and dedication the condition may be managed effectively for some time.
There is no cure for renal disease, but there is hope in stabilizing and maintaining a good quality of life for your feline. If you are reading this then you are searching for that hope. It is proven that a natural raw food diet can be very beneficial to felines (and dogs) with mild to moderate renal failure.
“A natural raw food diet can be very beneficial to felines with mild to moderate renal failure, who are under veterinarian care. Feline Instincts’ My Natural Kidney Support diet is modified to contain lower protein and higher fat, with B- vitamins that are so essential in renal failure. The kidneys can manage the lower protein intake and yet still enjoy the benefits of a raw food diet which is so much healthier for their bodies. Your holistic veterinarian can also prescribe natural remedies to help support your feline’s kidneys along with this diet.”
In addition to the diet I recommend a kidney tablet supplement called Feline Renal Support by Standard Process is prescribed for felines with kidney issues and works very well along with our renal diet.
As a preventative to aging kidneys : Renafood by Standard Process. This tablet is a very good renal detoxifier and helps to maximize kidney function in felines and is given as a preventative for aging kidneys; give one a day. We give this to all our felines to help prevent early stages of renal failure from the age of 6 years old. None our felines had renal issues and they all lived to 19 and 20. Most felines eat them readily alone or crushed with a sprinkle of our liver powder. We do not add to food so that it works on the kidneys alone.
Another good kidney support pill used in addition with the Renafood tablet and our raw kidney diet is Renal Essentials by VetriScience.
Please keep in mind that all allopathic vets do not relate to raw kidney diets as well as homeopathic vets do. When fed a raw diet you really don’t have to pay close attention to the phos or protein as much because it is the quality not the quantity that makes the difference. If you’re dealing with commercially processed foods like Science diet then you would look for the low levels. Taking good quality protein from a feline will slowly kill her.
Remember, allopathic vets are schooled for Science Diet recipes only, not raw diets. Contact a holistic vet for a second opinion and you’ll see my point. Holistic vets graduate from the same schools as allopathic vets. None of my felines had kidney issues when they passed away at ages 19-21 years old. because of the holistic care they received from our holistic vet. That is 96-100 years old in their lifetime too.
Most Holistic veterinarians prescribe Renafood by Standard Process to go along with our raw kidney diet. Our ongoing, continuous study that we started in 1998, showed that felines creatine levels are decreased significantly on this additional supplement along with our My Natural Kidney Support Diet. Your holistic veterinarian may also have other natural remedies that will work so please ask them about Standard Process supplements.
My Natural Kidney Diet™ Recipe & Ingredients (this recipe is without the liver powder, you add raw liver)
- 1 cup/250ml of filtered or distilled water
- ½ cup of “My Natural Kidney Support™ supplement powder ( 3/4 cup if using the premix with liver powder in it. )
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken meats or ground turkey.
- 1 cup/127 grams of raw liver (by weight not volume): Use chicken liver for chicken and turkey. Don’t use beef or lamb meats because some felines will throw up beef meats. For liver powders use 6 level Tablespoons of chicken liver power. Skip the liver if you ordered the diet supplement that already has chicken liver powder in it.
- 1 & 1/2 (15 oz or 700~ grams) cans of plain pumpkin (or steamed squash peeled & seeded. See below.)
- 4 Salmon Oil Capsules (4000 mg) or 2 strokes of the salmon oil pump
- Add water to bowl, puncture and squeeze salmon capsules in water and stir.
- Add pureed liver & chopped, ground or diced meat and stir gently.
- Add the My Natural Kidney Support™ powder and stir gently until mixed well with liver and water.
- Add 1 & 1/2 (25 oz or 700~ grams) cans of plain pumpkin or use steamed squash peeled & seeded in a vegetable steamer and puree thoroughly in a blender or food processor. Set aside to cool. No other veggie can be used because squash gives the feline the fiber and extra water they need. You can also add squash or pumpkin to the meals not in the recipe until kitty gets used to it or, use less in the recipe.
The recipe above uses less powder premix then the premix we sell with liver powder. Weigh or measure daily meals in freezer baggies, ice cube trays or small plastic or glass containers and freeze. I use pint size Zip Lock freezer bags then freeze in large flat Tupperware boxes, separating each layer with paper towels so they will not freeze together. Label and date you frozen recipes.
Use a glass bowl or stainless steel bowl, fill the sink with very hot tap water, add the meat recipe to the bowl, cover the bowl and stir now and then until it warmed. I feel it with the tips of my fingers to see if it’s warm. It’s very quick and you don’t get the toxins from the plastic that way. Also, leave to warm at room temp for a few minutes. Some cats eat it cold.
All ingredients of this recipe are essential. Replacing or omitting ingredients will interrupt the nutritional balance.
Serve 1/2 – 3/4 cup twice a day or as directed by your vet.
Dried Egg Yolk, Gelatin, Kidney Glands ( New Zealand Organic), Kelp maintenance dose (Organic), Dulse maintenance dose (Organic), Taurine, Vitamin B 50 Complex, Vitamin E, Calcium, Magnesium,
The following values have been calculated based on a recipe made with Feline Instincts® Kidney Diet supplement containing 1 & 1/2 cups of water, 4 salmon capsules, 2 pounds of raw boneless chicken, 1 cup of raw chicken liver and 70 grams (1/2 cup) of supplement powder.
Per 100 grams of recipe:
Protein 13.6 %, Fat 1.6 %, Fiber 0.4%, Carb 1.6 %, Calcium 0.14%, Phosphorus 0.14 %, Magnesium 0.03%, Sodium 0.04 %, Vitamin A (IU/g) 28, Vitamin E (IU/g) 0.01, Calories 0.68 (Cal/g); 47.60 calories per ½ cup of a meal.
Feline Instincts does not claim our supplements cure any feline or canine diseases.